The City of Alma, Nebraska Treasurer performs many duties vital to the daily operations of the City. CeeAnn Affolter joined the City in June of 2021 as the City Clerk and in August moved to the Treasurer position. Below you will find many of the duties she performs.
The following job description is not intended to be all inclusive. Instead it is intended to delineate areas of responsibility and expectations. The position requires a professional oriented individual who is willing and able to take initiative, adapt to changes, including all technological changes pertinent to the position, and exercise judgment in the performance of the specific tasks necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- The City Treasurer is an appointed offical. The Mayor, with the consent of the City Council, is responsible for the appointment of the City Treasurer. The City Treasurer may be removed at any time by the Mayor (Alma Code 1-201).
- The responsiblilites specified by ordinance are herby incorporated into this job description by reference to Alma Code 1-201.
- The City Treasurer is compensated by salary. Salary is reviewed annually by the City Administrator. Recommendations for adjustment are presented to the City Council for approval. Adjustments in salary are normally effective at the beginning of the City's fiscal year.
- Shall wear appropriate attire and maintain a well-kept appearance.
- Shall be polite, couteous, friendly, understanding, and knowledgeable about all aspects of the City of Alma's business or capable of obtaining the correct information needed from the appropriate department in a professional manner.
- Shall understand the billing computer, copier, typewriter, adding machine, postage machine, fax machine, CD base system, and phone system.
- Shall be prepared to receive payments and prepare appropriate forms for receipt of bills, licenses, complaints, permits, and handle sales persons.
- Shall handle the utility billing for the City which includes the following.
- Daily receipt of bill and all other payments.
- Correct stamping of all paid invoices and bills.
- File data and bill payment receipts.
- Record daily deposits of all monies received. The City Clerk's position will prepare and make the daily deposit to the appropriate bank account.
- Entering of all paid receipts into computer.
- Prepare billing and accounts receivable reports.
- Send disconnect notices on all utility bills not paid according to City policy.
- Follow up on disconnect notices and delinquent accounts.
- Generation of reports, manual checking for correctness before bill printing.
- Printing of bill register, checking register, bill printing, and separation of biling to appropriate areas and mailing of bills.
- Shall be responsible for the preparation of payroll and all related compliance and reporting issues.
- Shall be responsible for the preparation of the Treasurer's report on a monthly basis for the City Council meeting including budget to actual reports.
- Shall be responsible for the preparation of claims and the related reports and payment of such claims after Council approval.
- Shall be responsible for the General Ledger.
- Shall be responsible for the annual audit by outside accountants along with the City Administator.
- Shall be reponsible for the preparation of the budget worksheets and along with the City Administrator prepare the annual budget.
- Shall be responsible for the annual "Road Report", required in order to receive Highway Allocation Funds.
- Shall be cross trained in the duties of other positions as may be considered necessary by the Mayor, City Council, and City Administrator.
- Shall be responsible for any other tasks, duties, etc. that may be assigned by the Mayor, City Council, and City Administrator.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duty does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the City of Alma and the employee and is subject to change by the City of Alma as the needs and requirements change.